EOS Destination Workshops
Kentucky Horse Country
- Presented by:
- Adam Jones (Bio)
- EOS Destination Workshops
- April 07, 2015 - April 09, 2015
- Lexington, Kentucky
- Accommodations and most meals are the responsibility of the attendee though we have set up a special rate at the Courtyard Lexington Keeneland/Airport
Courtyard Lexington Keeneland/Airport
3100 Wall Street
Lexington, KY 40513
Mention Canon Workshop to receive $139.99 rate
Rate does not include taxes & fees.
Room block expires March 9, 2015
- Canon Live Learning
Join Canon Explorer of Light, Adam Jones, in Lexington, Kentucky for a weekend filled with the sights sounds, and thrill of thoroughbred horses as they thunder past your position along the track railing. We’ll be out early exploring Keeneland behind the scenes as horses are exercised, groomed, and prepared for a day of racing. Plenty of opportunity for details up close and personal as we explore the grounds and barns. During the races, you will even have the unique opportunity to photograph a race from the Winner’s Circle!
We will also explore the 3,000 acres and 34 restored buildings of Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill. Known for their simple architecture and furniture, this largest authentic Shaker village provides stunning photographic opportunities in a beautiful pastoral setting. The white fences, barns, animals, carriages, and buildings offer countless opportunity.
This workshop has two distinctly different shooting days requiring very different skill sets. Day one we capture thundering race-horses running past our cameras at world famous Keeneland. In this workshop we explore creative techniques for recording the power and grace of thoroughbred racing at its best. Students will learn proven techniques for panning and recording action with fast and slow shutter speeds for creative effect. Day two explore the picturesque and interesting architecture of Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill. Here we are working slower and from tripods where we learn about composing, depth of field for landscapes, using Tilt Shift lenses for architecturally correct images.
The workshop is limited to 16 students so you will have plenty of attention and support from Adam and one of our highly skilled Canon technical representatives. You will shoot elbow to elbow in the field with Adam Jones, learning his professional insights and techniques. You will also have the opportunity to print 1-2 of your favorite images as well as learn essential processing tips.
- How to use fast shutter speeds for freezing action and slow shutter speeds for creative interpretation of motion
- How to set up camera for tracking fast moving subjects
- Selecting focus points and metering options
- How to track movement with telephoto lenses
- Understanding composure, depth of field for landscapes, and using Tilt Shift lenses for architecturally correct images
- Creating a custom white balance indoors and out for perfect color rendition every time
- Flash photography use indoors and out
- A variety of images for your professional portfolio
Please bring a range of lenses, from wide angle to telephoto, you will use them all. Backup camera if you have one. The Canon EOS-1D X and EOS 7D Mark II are perfect for tracking the running horses at Keeneland. Don’t’ forget plenty of charged battery packs and memory cards, a sturdy tripod (a must!) and a laptop computer for downloading images. You will also have the opportunity to submit images to the on-site technical representative, who will make one or two prints for you to take home.
This workshop is intended for the Beginner to Advanced photographer. You will need to have a basic understanding of your camera operations including manual mode, AV, F Stops and Shutter speed. Please read the agenda to understand the workshop outline.
- Canon gear loans
- One breakfast and one lunch
- Press Credentials for Keeneland Races with access to Winner’s Circle
- Admission to Shaker Village
- 1 - 2 prints of your work to take home, circumstances permitting
This is a Canon Live Learning Event Learn More