Professional Development Seminars & Workshops
Shooting Small: An Intimate DP/Director Collaboration with Director Vicki Callahan and DP Dianne Farrington
- Presented by:
- Vicki Callahan & Dianne Farrington
- Professional Development Seminars & Workshops
- April 23, 2018
- 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- Free Seminar
- Canon Burbank
3400 West Olive Ave Suite 250
Burbank, California 91505
The documentary "One River, One Boat" explores the dynamics of racial justice and reconciliation in the aftermath of the tragedies of the Walter Scott and Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church shootings in 2015. One River, One Boat uses interviews, archival material, and current footage of the activist actions to tell the story of a community where the focus on recent tragedies has been on forgiveness” and “grace” rather than toward real solutions to racial injustice.
Vicki and Dianne will discuss their collaboration in a very challenging environment:
• Methods and ethos employed as the foundation for filming communities and personal interviews dealing with difficult topics
• Moving up from the Canon XC15 to the Canon EOS C300 Mark II and why Canon compact zooms were the right choice.
• Using the camera in challenging and intimate settings
• Shaping a vision that mixes historical setting and personal stories
• First-time collaboration insights for director/cinematographer
• Keeping vision consistent over disparate locales
• Story evolution over the 3-day filming
• Lessons learned going forward/next steps
Vicki Callahan is a Fulbright Scholar, Associate Professor of Cinema Media Arts + Practice Division at the School of Cinematic Arts at University of Southern California Dianne Farrington, Cinematography Faculty at USC School of Cinematic Arts, DP/Camera Operator for over 25 years.
This dynamic duo will share their informative journey.
This is a Canon Live Learning Event Learn More