Canon Live Learning San Francisco
Black and White Photography
- Presented by:
- Celac Colvert
- Canon Live Learning San Francisco
- September 11, 2018
- 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM
- $49 Class
- 201 California Street
San Francisco, California 94111
This class will encourage students to explore what goes into creating and printing expressive black and white photography.
While beautiful black and white images can certainly be created as an afterthought or “version” of what was conceived as a color image, you will be introduced to the value of considering a true monochrome outcome prior to composing and analyzing their composition -- with the specific intent of creating a black and white print.
We will begin by addressing traditional black and white photography techniques, look at the differences between monochrome and color image structure, consider how these differences can be used to our advantage in composing a black and white image, and examine the relevance of traditional technique to digital capture.
After addressing how we make images we will move on to edit and output. Naturally much of the technique you have learned for post-processing color images will still apply. However we will address specific areas of difference as well as black and white centric tools that help you to quickly progress from the RAW image to the monochrome final result. The class will conclude by making Black and White prints on a Canon large format printer.
• Learning from the masters –analyzing mentor images
• The differences between composing for a black and white and color image
• The relationship of traditional black and white technique to digital capture
• Optimal color for a black and white result
• Black and White tools and plugins
• Printing monochrome images out of Lightroom
• Alternative output tools: QTR’s Print Tool
• The use of profiles to ensure consistent and predictable output.
◦ Monochrome Profiles vs Color
• Quick tour of alternative printmaking
This is a Canon Live Learning Event Learn More