The PIXMA PRO-1 printer offers three unique color modes that allow photographers customize their print settings. The new color modes are:
- Linear Tone
- Enable ICC Profile
- Photo Color
Let's take a look at what they do and how to use them.
"Linear Tone" is the default setting on the PIXMA PRO-1. This mode replicates the output settings of previous models, and closely matches the colors of the original image, as it does not provide in-printer adjustments.
"Enable ICC Profile" produces images that accurately match the colors of an image shot with the "Portrait" or "Landscape" picture styles on any Canon EOS DSLR camera. It can also be used to accurately print in the Adobe RGB color space through the use of Easy-PhotoPrint Pro.
The third mode is "Photo Color," which is designed to automatically enhance the look of an image based on colors that are important to the human eye-like the blues of skies, and the greens of grass and trees. This color mode makes the most of the expanded dynamic range from the LUCIA Pigment Ink System. By using this mode, prints generally offer a more natural tonal gradation from shadows to highlights, revealing details that may otherwise be lost in other systems.
These new color modes are a perfect match for the new LUCIA Pigment Ink System. Among the many benefits of using 12 different inks is an expansion of the printer's color gamut with improved saturation of colors and darker, deeper blacks. Skin-tone reproduction has also been improved, providing a more natural look, and the magenta colorcast sometimes found when printing portraits has been eliminated.
The LUCIA system includes five Monochrome inks (Photo Black, Matte Black, Dark Gray, Gray, and Light Gray), which makes true grayscale reproduction possible while suppressing graininess and reducing the effect of bronzing and metamerism.
How to use the Color Modes:
This powerful Easy-PhotoPrint Pro plug-in software provides professional photographers effective printing solutions and can directly hand-over image data.
To follow these instructions, you will need to have Canon's Easy-PhotoPrint Pro installed. Easy-PhotoPrint Pro is a plug-in software that enables quick and easy professional photo printing. It is included with the PIXMA PRO-1, PIXMA Pro9500/Pro9500 Mark II, and PIXMA Pro9000/Pro9000 Mark II printers, and it works with the following applications:
- Digital Photo Professional Ver.2.1 or later
- Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2.7 and 3.x
- Adobe Photoshop CS/CS2/CS3/CS4/CS5
- Adobe Photoshop Elements 6/8/9
Digital Photo Professional
If you are using Digital Photo Professional simply go to:
- File > Plug-in Printing > Print with Easy-Photo Print Pro
In Adobe Lightroom, go to:
- File > Plug-in Extras > Canon Easy-Photo Print Pro
The steps to print using Adobe Photoshop are:
- Open the image you would like to print in Photoshop.
- Go to File > Automate > Canon Easy Photo Print Pro (The Canon Easy-PhotoPrint Pro application will open)
- Select your printer, paper size, media type, and click on Color Adjustment.
- Click on the Color Management tab.
- You will see the three available options under Color Mode.
- Choose the one that best matches your image and workflow, and then click OK.
- Click Print.
- Make sure STANDARD is selected in the print dialog box.
- Now simply click Print again, and you're ready to enjoy your beautiful image!
Reproducing colors with linear tone curves, getting more technical with paper-specific ICC Profiles/EOS picture styles, or simply matching your color memories is now possible – and easy to achieve – with the new PIXMA PRO-1 color modes.