New C300 Mark II Firmware Version 184.108.40.206.00 Includes the Ability to Change the Position of the Waveform Monitor on the Display
With the exception of the EOS-1D C, all Cinema EOS camera systems have included an internally produced waveform monitor. The only slight negative was that the position of the waveform monitor has always been fixed to a similar position on the right side of the screen. For shooters who prefer to keep it active while they work, this fixed position would occasionally cover what they were shooting.
The Canon EOS C300 Mark II was the first of the Cinema EOS cameras to allow for output of the waveform monitor to an external display. With this new firmware update, it will become the first Cinema EOS camera (as of August 2017) that allows you to select the position of where the waveform is displayed through the EVF, the LCD or out to an external display. In addition to the traditional screen right position, the lower left side of frame will now be available as an alternate location.
Also for the C300 Mark II, there is a minor fix to the list of shutter speeds displayed on the Browser Remote user interface when the camera is connected to a smartphone, tablet, or computer via Wi-Fi®.
Both the C300 Mark II and the C100 Mark II are getting some common tweaks and enhancements. Most notably, new firmware for both cameras includes the addition of firmware support for the Canon CN-E70-200mm T4.4 L IS KAS S COMPACT-SERVO lens that was introduced earlier this year.
- Support for the CN-E70-200mm T4.4 L IS KAS S COMPACT-SERVO lens enables the following features:
- Autofocus using the Dual Pixel CMOS AF function
- Dual Pixel Focus Guide functions
- The joystick on the camera’s handle can now be set to operate the servo zoom on the lens
Control over the Canon 70-200mm servo zoom functions is now possible using only the joystick on either the C300 Mark II or C100 Mark II Grip Unit.
- Manual control of the iris with the camera’s Control Dial
- Control of focus, zoom, and iris using the separately sold remote controller, RC-V100
- Automatic aperture and push auto iris functions
- Camera Start/Stop recording on the lens grip
- Retrieval of lens metadata, such as the model name and focus distance will display on the camera
- Both the C300 Mark II and C100 Mark II firmware adds peripheral illumination correction for the following lenses:
- CN-E70-200mm T4.4 L IS KAS S
- EF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 IS USM II
- EF 16-35mm f/2.8 III USM
- Again, for both cameras, when Face Only is active, the AF icon will change from white to gray when a face is not recognized.
New firmware for both the C300 Mark II and C100 Mark II changes the way the Face Only icon is displayed. The icon on the left is all white when a face is recognized in the scene, while on the right, it turns gray when no face is recognized.
- And finally, when either the C300 Mark II or C100 Mark II is turned off, the IS (Image Stabilization) mechanical lock will be active regardless of the position of the IS switch on the lens.
To download these important firmware updates, visit the Support page for either camera, choose Drivers & Downloads/Firmware at www.usa.canon.com.
The CDLC contributors are compensated spokespersons and actual users of the Canon products that they promote.