The latest firmware update for the EOS Rebel T3i is now available from the Canon website. Firmware Version 1.0.1 includes the following fixes/improvements:
1. Clarifies the feature guide description of the digital zoom function for movie-shooting that appears on the camera’s LCD monitor.
2. Fixes a phenomenon in which, in rare cases, a computer connected to the camera with a USB cable cannot recognize the camera.
Regarding item 1, the new feature guide description of the digital zoom function shown on the camera’s LCD monitor reads: “Approx. 3-10x digital zoom available”
In other words, when using the digital zoom, the image can be magnified while maintaining the full HD image size of 1920 × 1080 pixels. However, because the image is processed digitally, the higher the magnification, the rougher the image will look. This information is already listed on p. 152 of the user’s manual.
To find the update, follow this link to go directly to the Drivers & Software area for the EOS Rebel T3i. In the Firmware section, you should see two options:
v101-t3i-600d-x5.dmg (for Mac OS X)
v101-t3i-600d-x5.exe (for Windows)
Click to download the version you need based on your OS. The firmware upgrade procedure is the same as previous upgrades for EOS cameras:
1. Download the zipped firmware file to your hard drive
2. Copy the downloaded .FIR file to an SD memory card by inserting the card into a card reader and dragging/dropping the file to the card
3. Install the SD card into your camera and call up Firmware Ver. x.x.x. in the EOS Rebel T3i's 3rd set-up menu (with the yellow wrench)
4. Select OK when asked if you want to upgrade to the new version
Note that full PDF instructions for the upgrade procedure will accompany the firmware upgrade when you download the zipped file from the site. Be sure to read and thoroughly understand the steps before attempting to install it into your camera.