EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
For nearly two decades, the lightweight EF 50mm f/1.8 lens has been one of the best values in the EOS system. Always popular because of its affordability, the lens’s f/1.8 maximum aperture makes it faster than any current zoom lens, so it’s a great alternative for available-light shooting. And, with APS-C sensor cameras, its field of view is equivalent to an 80mm short telephoto lens on a full-frame camera — making it a nice choice for portraits and low-light candid shooting. With this update, it gains smooth STM autofocus, even closer minimum focus distance, and enhanced optical performance from new lens coatings.
- Same proven optical design as previous EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens, but totally redesigned focus system and closer minimum focus distance (approx. 14 inches versus 18 inches on previous lens)
- Extensive mechanical re-design: metal lens mount; new STM focus system; broader and smoother manual focus ring
- Reduced flare and ghosting in back-lit situations, with new optical coatings throughout the lens
- Very compact, light design — first Canon EF lens to use 49mm screw-in filters
- 50mm design gives classic “normal” lens coverage with full-frame cameras and slight telephoto coverage (80mm equivalent) when used on smaller-sensor APS-C cameras