EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM
Working distance is the key to this lens: for close-up shooting of living subjects, or where lighting is being used, backing away can avoid alarming live subjects or casting shadows onto what you're shooting. With its longer 180mm focal length, this L-series macro lens still provides full life-size (1x, or 1:1 magnification*, but with the lens about 10 inches (25cm) away from the subject. As an L-series lens, sharpness is terrific, and it is a great lens for fashion, outdoor portraits, and other medium-tele applications at normal distances.
- Full AF (and MF) from infinity down to life-size magnification; super-smooth, full-time manual focus override works even if lens is in its AF mode
- Popular choice among serious nature enthusiasts, because of its close-up performance with added working distance — excellent real-world advantage for shooting live subjects
- Compatible with Canon’s EF 1.4x and 2x tele extenders (all versions, including new Version III extenders); AF limited to 2.6 feet (0.8m) ~ infinity with 1.4x, and no AF with 2x
- Equivalent to 288mm lens, with full life-size magnification, when mounted on small-sensor cameras like EOS 7D
* Please note: close-up magnification figures remain constant, regardless of sensor size of the Canon EOS digital SLR this lens is mounted to. A smaller sensor may effectively "crop" what the lens can see, but doesn't change the actual magnification size at the imaging sensor plane.