EOS Destination Workshops
SOLD OUT: Portrait Lighting in Steel Mill Country
- Presented by:
- Joel Grimes (Bio)
- EOS Destination Workshops
- August 23, 2018 - August 26, 2018
- $1,499 (CPS Discount: $100)
- Johnstown, Pennsylvania
- Lodging, airfare and most meals are the responsibility of the attendee though we have set up a room block with a special Canon rate at the below suggested host hotel.
Holiday Inn Johnstown – Downtown
250 Market Street
Johnstown, PA 15901
Mention Canon Photography Workshop when making a reservation to receive Canon’s special rate. Room block expires on Sunday, July 22nd.
Closest airport to the Holiday Inn Johnstown is the Johnstown-Cambria County Airport (JST); approximately 5 miles travel by car. The closest international airport is Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT); approximately 85 miles travel by car.
- Canon Live Learning
This workshop begins on Thursday, August 23 at 4:00pm and ends on Sunday, August 26 at 6:00pm.
Join Canon Explorer of Light Joel Grimes for a three-day exploration of the power of light, setting, and artistry in portraiture. In this workshop, you’ll learn how to create dramatic lighting using strobes and modifiers, from the alluring intimacy of Joel’s Rembrandt cross light images to his edgy sports images.
Then you will put your knowledge into action, shooting professional models in and around the eerily evocative location of Johnstown, PA — the infamous site of the 1889 flood and now home to hauntingly gritty settings such as the Cambria Iron Works site, and the Abandoned Trolley Graveyard. The time-traveling adventure gets even better, when a vintage Harley-Davidson rolls onto the scene for a unique photography experience.
- Create compelling portraits using a variety of lighting techniques
- Master the ins and outs of working with strobe lighting and modifiers
- Become less reliant on light meters and complicated calculations
- Compose captivating backgrounds for your portraiture
- Understand how to use large maximum aperture lenses.
- Gain knowledge of the High Speed Sync feature using Speedlites for portraits on location
- Learn how to use neutral density filters
- Gain exposure to novel portrait techniques using texture, stitching and printing
- Get advice on how to thrive as an artist personally and professionally
- Expert instruction in the field and classroom from Joel Grimes and support from the Canon Live Learning Team
- Travel to and from Johnstown for field trips
- Access to the latest Canon gear: L-Series lenses, and Canon EOS-1D X Mark II, EOS 5D Mark IV, EOS 6D Mark II, and EOS 80D bodies
- 1–2 professional prints of your work to take home from a Canon Professional Inkjet Printer
- EF 50mm f/1.2L USM
- EF 85mm f/1.4L IS USM
- EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM
- EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
- EF 135mm f/2L USM
- EF 200mm f/2L IS USM
- Camera and lenses
- Laptop and charger
- Batteries and lots of memory cards
Beginners, intermediate and advanced students are welcome. A good understanding of your camera operations including using manual mode, apertures, AV, F-Stops and shutter speed is needed.
Canon Live Learning Destination Workshops let you access exclusive experiences where you can develop skills and create lifelong memories. In just a few short days, these fun, hands-on workshops will expand your portfolio, create prints of your favorite images and help you make new friends.
Shoot Side-By-Side With The Pros
You’ll be alongside seasoned photography pros, ready to answer any question—and provide expert advice on how to bring your visions to life, how to maximize your camera’s functions and get creative with lenses.
Smaller Is Better
In this intimate setting, you’ll have easy access to instructors as well as the Canon Live Learning support staff. Whether you’re shooting waterfalls in Yosemite, gators in Florida, or surfers in Hawaii – you’ll have all the attention you need to further to develop your skills.
Get Hands-on With The Best Canon Gear
You’ll not only shoot with the best instructors—you’ll shoot with the best gear! Workshop attendees can access a range of Canon “dream gear,” including the latest EOS cameras and lenses, with Canon instructors ready to offer their technical and creative assistance every step of the way.
This is a Canon Live Learning Event Learn More